Monday, October 25, 2010

The perfect UPUMAVU-" salt mango tree"

Hi,

I'm disappointed that no one has left any comments on my blog.Wonder if any body even read it. But I guess now that I've started blogging I'll continue doing so.

I wanted to use my space to thank people who have touched my life and helped me to grow in my life.
When I thought about it, the first name that came to my mind was my teacher- Mrs.  J Sheshan. I just remember how interesting and exciting her classes were. She made the English period come alive with wonderful stories from her childhood. she took extra effort to coach us at home for our public exam and would offer us omlettes and say that cooking was not her forte. she would alway say to 'keep it simple'.

If you ever read this blog Jyothi M'am- Just wanted to tell you a big thank you for making lessons fun and lively.I treasured the corrections and the notes you wrote in my notebook and kept it for my sisters to study, I even showed off my answer sheets that you had marked to my husband!! Thank you dear teacher.

I'll also share my upma recepie here-  v simple, also called UPUMAVU, literally translated as salt mango tree by Mohanlal in one of his best movies.

I call it my perfect Upma because I follwed my husband's method and it came out well and I was able to recreate it again.

Rava/Semolina - 1 cup dry roasted
water - 1.5 cup approx.
green chillies-3 nos. slit lengthwise
ginger - 1/2 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
coconut grated-2 tbs
curry leaf - few leaves
butter/ghee- 1/2 tbs
oil- 1 tbs
chopped medium sized onion - 1 no.
salt to taste

Method

Heat oil and butter in a non stick wok, splutter mustard, add curry leaves and ginger, add chopped onion and coconut and saute till the onion is translucent and starting to brown. Add a fistful of cashewnuts if you like and add the water and let it boil with salt, add rava and mix in well. Lower the heat and let it cook for a min with a lid. Serve after breaking the lumps. The rava should be roasted and the water should be boiling for that perfect upma thats soft and tasty.

Try out this easy and quick recepie and send in your comments............

2 comments:

  1. Salt mango tree, Mohanlal AND J Seshan - all good things in one posting! :) I thought I was the only one who kept my english answer papers for her comments. Hmm haven't thought about it in ages. Love the blog, B. Had I known it was here, I'd have checked for recipes sooner!! Keep it going. xo Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried it this morning :) used slivered almonds instead of cashews. it was great chechi! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete